The PhD Fellowship is a competitive, full-time fellowship program for students pursuing a doctoral degree in economics at George Mason University. Our PhD Fellows take courses in market process economics, public choice, and institutional analysis and work on projects that use these lenses to understand global prosperity and social change. Successful PhD Fellows have secured tenure-track positions at colleges and universities throughout the United States and in Europe. Fellows will join a network of Mercatus students, alumni, and scholars who are conducting and engaging with cutting edge research in contemporary political economy.
The online application includes:
- A 1-2 page cover letter explaining:
- your research interests and current projects,
- your familiarity with Mason and Mercatus scholars and their research, and
- what you hope to get out of the program.
- A current resume/CV
- A 500-1000 word essay on “Why do some societies prosper, while others remain stagnant and poor?”
- A 10-page writing sample that demonstrates your writing and research skills
- A few short answer questions
Return to the PhD Fellowship page