#27 | Ranking the States by Fiscal Condition: Arizona
On the basis of its solvency in five separate categories, Arizona ranks 27th among the US states for fiscal health. How does your state rank?
On the basis of its solvency in five separate categories, Arizona ranks 27th among the US states for fiscal health. Arizona has between 0.88 and 1.40 times the cash needed to cover short-term obligations, well below the US average. Revenues exceed expenses by 5 percent, with an improving net position of $227 per capita. In the long run, Arizona has a net asset ratio of 0.07. Long-term liabilities are lower than the national average, at 34 percent of total assets, or $2,194 per capita. Total unfunded pension liabilities that are guaranteed to be paid are $110.43 billion, or 40 percent of state personal income. OPEB are $0.04 billion, or less than 1 percent of state personal income.
- Cash solvency measures whether a state has enough cash to cover its short-term bills, which include accounts payable, vouchers, warrants, and short-term debt. (Arizona ranks 46th.)
- Budget solvency measures whether a state can cover its fiscal year spending using current revenues. Did it run a shortfall during the year? (Arizona ranks 15th.)
- Long-run solvency measures whether a state has a hedge against large long-term liabilities. Are enough assets available to cushion the state from potential shocks or long-term fiscal risks? (Arizona ranks 20th.)
- Service-level solvency measures how high taxes, revenues, and spending are when compared to state personal income. Do states have enough “fiscal slack”? If spending commitments demand more revenues, are states in a good position to increase taxes without harming the economy? Is spending high or low relative to the tax base? (Arizona ranks 26th.)
- Trust fund solvency measures how much debt a state has. How large are unfunded pension liabilities and OPEB liabilities compared to the state personal income? (Arizona ranks 9th.)
For a complete explanation of the methodology used to calculate Arizona's fiscal health rankings, download the full paper and the dataset at mercatus.org/statefiscalrankings.
To read all our work on Arizona, go to mercatus.org/states/arizona.