The State Scorecard Evaluation for Louisiana scores how well, before November 2007, the state of Louisiana informs the public with regard to transparency and accountability. The Mercaus Center evaluates Louisiana on fifteen criteria falling in four categories: Results Transparency, Financial & Purchasing Transparency, Program Performance & ResultsTransparency, and An Informed Public.
1. Does the state have a procedure for the disclosure of performance information to the public?
2. Does the state have a requirement for outcome based reporting of government performance?
3. Does the state have a requirement for the agencies of government to prepare and publish documents outlining the long and short term strategic goals of the agency?
4. Does the state have a requirement for reporting the long term intergenerational affects of current or new policy?
5. Does the Governor publish a strategic or similar plan for the state?
Financial & Purchasing Transparency
1. Does the state have a financial reporting procedure that discloses all the relevant short-term and long-term financial information so that the public is given a clear picture of the fiscal health of the state?
2. Does the state break down financial information to the program level?
3. Does the state report on the cost and efficacy of tax expenditures?
4. Does the state account for regulatory expenditures?
5. Does the state publish on the Internet in a timely manner and in a readily searchable form all expenditures by amount, by activity, and by recipient?
Program Performance & ResultsTransparency
1. Does the state have a regular performance review process for government programs?
2. Does the state have a regular performance review process for government departments and agencies?
3. Does the state have an authorization and review process for regulations?
An Informed Public
1. Does the state have a procedure that requires timely prior public disclosure of executive or legislative decisions?
2. Does the state have a user-friendly process for citizens to be able to challenge government administrative decisions?