- | Academic & Student Programs Academic & Student Programs
- | Urban Economics Urban Economics
- | Data Visualizations Data Visualizations
A Paternalism Ranking of the States
Which states are the most paternalistic, in terms of telling you what you can and can’t do?
Which states are the most paternalistic, in terms of telling you what you can and can’t do? Which states tax individual choices like gambling, smoking, or using plastic bags most heavily? This infographic ranks the states according to how much their tax codes distort individual choices in private markets. The ranking shows which states try to control your choices by taxation, and which ones leave the choices up to you.
- Paternalistic policies may have positive effects that are easy to see, but they also have hidden unintended consequences.
- Wyoming has the most freedom from paternalism, while New York is the most paternalistic state.
- The indexes in this chapter can help policymakers understand the level and potential harm of paternalism in their state.
To learn more, read the full chapter in For Your Own Good: Taxes, Paternalism, and Fiscal Discrimination in the Twenty-First Century.